Saturday, July 01, 2006

Yet another Blog on SaaS

So why do I bother adding more clutter to the Internet?

I have been looking at publications on SaaS in the past six months and, although I found a lot of fascinating, eye opening articles, blogs and the such, I could not find perspectives that were similar to many of the thoughts I have swirling around my head.
Perhaps, this is indicative of an emerging market where for every 'worker bee' you are apt to find three 'consultant bees' that have much to say about anything, but there few people with hands-on experience of actually transitioning from the enterprise model to the on-demand offering.
I have met with quite a few ISVs in the past months in various stages of adoption and realized that many just don't get it. Many CEOs I spoke to were considering the move as a an unavoidable evil they would need to contend with at some point. Others understand that they will need to offer on-demand, but not just now ("call me at the end of the year").

I have found myself evangelizing a lot and I must say that it surprised me that after such a hype deluge, there is still need for an advertising campaign.

On a positive note, I met one company last week in the arena of publication and technical documentation management. The company has redefined itself as a SaaS provider, repalcing most of the C-level and their marketing and sales staff because they get it! It almost brought tears of joy to my eyes. They understand that switching to SaaS is not a tactical move but a strategic one. With their permission, perhaps I will report more about them in a future posting.

So, this blog is dedicated to all you enterprise ISVs out there. I hope to shed some light on the SaaS space, help out with tips on the business model, on the needed steps to achieve a profitable on-demand business and discuss operations considerations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!